painHEALTH has been developed through the Department of Health, Western Australia in collaboration with Curtin University, University of Western Australia and the Musculoskeletal Health Network.
The aim of the website is to help health consumers with musculoskeletal pain access reliable and usable evidence-informed information and skills to assist in the co-management of their musculoskeletal pain.
You’ve gotta accept you’re in pain, you need help and you have to go get that help. You can’t lock people out…because it’s pain, they can’t see it.- Jamie, Low Back Pain,
- Evidence-Based Information
- Pain Stories
- Pain Management Training Modules
- Pain Management Resources
- Pain Self-Checks
- Pain condition information
Our Core Contributors
Helen SlaterPhD, FACP
Associate Professor, School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Curtin University, Perth Australia.
Stephanie DaviesMBBS, FANZCA, FFPMANZCA
Pain Medicine Specialist, WA Specialist Pain Services
Carl GrahamBSc(Hons), MAPs
Clinical Psychologist, Fiona Stanley Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine
Rob SchützeBA, BJourn, BSc(Psych)Hons, MPsych(Clinical)
Clinical Psychologist, School of Psychology and Speech Pathology, Curtin University, specialising in pain management at Wisdom Health in West Perth.
Jean ByrneBA, GradDipEd, DipChildbirthEd, BA(Hons), PhD
Honorary research fellow at Curtin University and UWA researching mindfulness, childbirth education and modern yoga studies.
Andrew BriggsAssociate Professor
BSc(Phty)Hons, PhD, School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Curtin University, Perth Australia; Senior Research Advisor, Arthritis and Osteoporosis Victoria.
Ben LowWeb designerFreelance web designer and front-end developer squawk designs.
Julia NgeowVideo Production
Bsc (Biophysics), UWA; Diploma of Modern Languages (Mandarin) UWA; Advanced Diploma of Video Production, Film and Television Institute, Fremantle.
Research Project Officer, Curtin University and Development Officer, Department of Health, WA
Sonia RanelliPhD, MSc, BSc(Physiotherapy)
Lecturer, School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Curtin University, Perth Australia.
To help Western Australian health consumers access reliable, practical and usable evidence-informed information and skills to assist in the co-management of their musculoskeletal pain. We acknowledge that access to pain management Is a fundamental human right and support the Declaration of Montreal (2010).
To promote timely access to reliable and practical pain management resources for all Western Australian health consumers.
This website was funded by a grant provided by The Office of the Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health WA. The in-kind support of the Fremantle Hospital and Health Service, Pain Medicine Unit, Curtin University and the University of WA are also acknowledged.
Partners and Supporters
Partners for this project are the Department of Health, Government of Western Australia; Curtin University; University of Western Australia; Fremantle Hospital and Health Service. The website is supported by the Australian Pain Society and the Australian Physiotherapy Association.
This website initiative aligns with several Models of Care developed by the Musculoskeletal Health Network as well as other strategic frameworks for musculoskeletal health, the National Pain Strategy. The project also aligns with recommendations from the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), including the Declaration of Montreal.
The information on this website does not replace medical advice or advice from your health care professional. If in doubt, check with your health professional. Where possible, the information provided on this website is based on the current best practice evidence including clinical guidelines and systematic reviews, meta-analyses and Cochrane consumer summaries. Recommendations may change as new research becomes available.
The support of the following people in contributing to the development and evaluation of this website is gratefully acknowledged:
- Health Consumer stories: Rose, Donna, Rick, Shaun and Jamie
- External Reference Group: Prof Stephen Gibson, Prof Stephan Schug, Amal Halou, Prof Lorimer Moseley, Dr Eric Visser
- Consumer evaluation: Diane Bowyer, Teresa Briggs, Kerry Mace
- Website Development Team: Ben Low, Helen Slater, Stephanie Davies; University of Western Australia: Dr Joel Kelso, Prof George Milne, Brian Marshall, Leila Easter; Department of Health, Government of Western Australia: Dr Andrew Briggs, Pat Cambridge and Megan Burley, System Policy and Planning; Magdalena Matuszczyk, Marcia van Zeller, Cynthia Chew; Communications Directorate, Dr Simon Towler, Medical Advisor and former Chief Medical Officer
- Content contributors: Andrew Briggs, Jean Byrne, Stephanie Davies, Carl Graham, Sonia Ranelli, Rob Schütze, Helen Slater, Tracy Antill, Madelynn Chan, Rana Hinman, Irwin Lim, Errol Lim, Peter O’Sullivan, Michele Sterling, Eric Visser, Pavla Walsh
- Film producer: Julia Ngeow; Jason Chua (support crew and evaluation development).